Slaan oor na hoofinhoud

Jared Kohn


JARED KOHN is an artisit from the Garden Route. Through his work he shares his passion for the outdoors, his family, living a simple yet meaningful life. Find out what inspires him and the tough choices he had to make. Dreams remain asleep without our leaps of faith.



1. Please tell us more about yourself and how you discovered your passion for art and to create.


My name is Jared Kohn. In school I did art as a subject, which included Graphic Design and a bit of painting and then when I left school I studied Architecture which is kind of a combination of practical, design and obviously creativity as well with color, form, texture ect. I worked as an Architect for about eight years. I really loved designing buildings and designing space and it’s interaction with people, but I didn’t enjoy the industry very much. It’s quite a difficult industry to be in and I think my personality just didn’t gel well with it.

The company in which I worked didn’t really allow me to express my creativity in a way that I like and as a creative outlet I would go back in the evenings and sit and start illustrating and drawing. I am very passionate about being outdoors, hiking and camping in nature, so I decided I wanted to combine my passion for design and being creative with nature and those types of elements. That’s where I get my inspiration. I try to get outdoors as much as possible. It’s not always as easy as I’d like. I’ve got a family with two young kids so we do
what we can. Most of my work is centered around the outdoors and I like to try and bring across as much meaning and depth in my work as possible. It’s inspiring trying to be an inspiration for people to look deeper into the artwork, to see a message; whether it means getting into the outdoors and enjoying it or just living simply. Obviously there is an aesthetic quality that I try and create also.

2. The style of your work is very unique, what’s the story behind it, how did you find your rhythm?

I predominately work in black line, pen and paper, I have transitioned a little bit to working digitally now just because it allows me to be a bit more carefree in designing. When you make a line with a pen on paper, that’s it, whereas digitally it allows me to experiment a bit more and if I am not happy I can go back and forth in various routes. I don’t know if it comes from my architectural background, but I have always loved the black lines with the different line-weights, that is how you communicate information. The lines in architecture are extremely rigid and geometric whereas the lines I am doing now are a lot more organic and free flowing, so there is a cross-over there and I think architecture has been an enrichment on my style. I am not opposed to using color, I do use hints of color in some of my work, but I do like the simplicity of the format, just black and white.

3. Working digitally, does the creative process change much, do you do it quicker etc.

With technology now, ipads, pencils etc. it still gives you a very realistic experience as though you were drawing on a piece of paper. I don’t think it is a massive change in the way in which I draw. It just allows me to experiment a lot more and I guess it allows me to do things a bit quicker as well. It doesn’t compromise the quality of the work. A lot of what I do, I need to send digitally to people who use it in various formats.

4. Are there other mediums you enjoy using?

I have another project where I draw from my previous experience in architecture, where what you are drawing becomes a three dimensional object that has to be detailed and has certain materials, look and feel. The business that I am busy creating now is a facility to allow me to take my design work and start creating actual physical objects, sculptural, practical things that I hope to sell. What I do enjoy also is collaborating with other artists. I have done a collaboration with an origami artist, Ross Symons from Cape Town. I illustrated
and He made three dimensional objects from that, which is a really nice cross-over to other mediums.

5. NationInspiration is all about inspiring people to use what they have, no matter how small the creative contribution. A tiny spark can set a great forest on fire… having said that, what or who inspires you?

I was working in architecture and wasn’t expressing my creativity in the way that I wanted. I wanted to live a life where I was passionate about something, that whatever I was doing I was giving a 100%. We made a very big move, moving from Cape Town to come live along the Garden Route…gave up our jobs...a big leap of faith. For me it coincides with living a much simpler life, enjoying nature. To be able to just put yourself out in nature and enjoy it, without your phone, without technology. If you are a Christian and you believe in God, you can enjoy a connection in that way as well. Nature, for me, has always been where I experience connection, so nature is definitely a big inspiration in the work that I do. I wouldn’t say that I have any specific artists who inspire me. There have been many where I thought, ‘hey I like their style…’ or the way in which they communicate things. Perhaps because I wasn’t formally trained, I didn’t get a degree in Arts, it is a good thing; I am not too influenced by artistic styles, art movements or the theory behind art. It kind of just is what it is for me. It’s just an expression of what I enjoy.

6. How would you like to impact or inspire your family through the legacy being built through your art?

I try and give a lot of meaning to my art which I think is important in life. There’s a lot of superficial stuff out there. A lot of materialism and I think that it is important that we actually step back and think about what we are creating and why we are creating things. Specifically for my family…we did take a big leap of faith coming here, following a dream. I think I would like, especially for my kids, for them to pursue something that they are passionate about. I don’t think everybody needs to be “living their dream”. The world needs certain types of people in order to function, whether you are a Barista or an Artist, Lawyer or
Accountant…not everybody needs to be living an Instagram life. I think what people do need to be doing is living and having a career that they are passionate about. If you are an Accountant and you are passionate about it, do it to the best of your ability today, rather than going to a job where you’re sitting there thinking, ‘If I can just get to 5 o'clock’. For me that was a big thing. The excellence of my work was suffering, because I was not passionate about it. So that’s what I want my family to get out of it.

7. Our current theme at NationInspiration is: “what do you weigh?” It has nothing to do with one’s physical weight, but rather our impact and the depth of our Love for the God that we believe in and also for other people. In essence, we want to know, how much does your love weigh and how far would you go for the person you love?

One’s definition of love is going to vary from person to person…depending on what you believe, if you have a faith or you don’t have a faith, but for me love is a self-sacrificing thing. For me showing love to my wife, for example, is putting her first in everything that I do. The same for my kids, I definitely don’t always get it right, but I think that is one of the best displays of Love. With regards to my art, I need to sell it to have an income, but what I really appreciate is when someone buys something and then tell me how much the piece has meant to them. Their interpretation of it. That for me is far more valuable than the financial part of it. To spread a message and meaning in some way as well.

8. Would you say that love is more of a choice than it is a feeling?


That’s a difficult one, because you can feel loved. When you look at somebody that you are in a relationship with, you feel a love for them, but I think love is definitely a CHOICE in a lot of circumstances. To extend love to somebody isn’t always an easy thing, it's a self-sacrificing thing.

Interview done by:

Christopher Dean Alexander 
#bespokepoetry


Find Jared Kohn Online:


View some of Jared's work below. You can also enjoy his art on exhibit at The Merchant Coffee in Bland street, Mossel Bay.














a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire #nationinspiration
FACEBOOK
INSTAGRAM
TWITTER

  

Opmerkings

Gewilde plasings van hierdie blog

Die klippie in my skoen - geskryf deur iskra

Wat 'n knaende verraad! Daardie klippie in die skoen. Daardie ding wat krap en pla en mens soms verleë laat. Dis 'n pes as jy dalk jaag van hier na daar, soveel dinge wat aan jou trek; jou aandag vat; daar is nie tyd nie! Vir jou om net te kan sit, skoen uittrek en die verdomde ding uitgooi! Pfffeeeu...! Wat 'n verligting as hy eers weg is! So klein dingetjie met soveel praat in sy kneuse...daardie klippie in die skoen. (Talk about rubbing me up the wrong way!) Ons het almal maar ons klippies. Klein goedjies wat haak en pla. Daagliks knaag dit aan ons..maal dit rond in ons koppe, laatnag, wannneer ons eintlik moet slaap... Ons veiligheid. Ons kinders se toekoms, gesondheid. Hoe gaan jy hierdie maand daardie rekening betaal? Jou huwelik of 'n vriendskap is dalk op 'n snaakse plek of selfs naby skipbreek? Dalk ons eie gesondheid wat 'n lelike rapport gekry het... 'n finale een...wat jou asem weggeruk het...wat jou, die mense om jou, dae en minute met '

Vir Die Voëls - Premiere & Resensie

#NasieInspirasie was genooi deur Starburst Promotions na die Premiere van "Vir Die Voëls" - 'n Film wat gebasseer is op die ware verhaal van Irma Humpel en Sampie De Klerk  (Vertolk deur  Simoné Nortmann  en Francois Jacobs - Foto) Sou mens kyk na die diereryk en die natuur in geheel is daar beslis baie lewenswaarhede wat daaruit gering kan word. So word dit ook vertel in die nuwe film en impakvolle storie van Irma Humpel en Sampie De Klerk, se "Vir die Voëls . Huisgenoot het hulle 100ste bestaansjaar gevier, 'n kompetisie geloods en lesers genooi om hulle liefdesverhaal te deel. Huisgenoot vertel die wenner se storie op die silwerdoek met behulp van Kyknet en Factory Films. "Vir die Voëls" vertel die ware verhaal van Irma Humpel (Simoné Nortmann), ’n korrelkop-rabbedoe wat in ’n trourok voor die kansel beland langs die seun wat haar kleintyd onophoudelik geterg het. Tot kort tevore was haar kop op ’n blok dat onafhanklikheid die enigste vorm van

#Bakgat Gesondheidsbeskuit

My ouma het altyd gesê: “As jy kan lees, kan jy bak”. Ek het dit altyd geglo en wyd en syd verkondig, maar vandat ek self begin bak het vir ‘n lewe, het ek agtergekom dat jy meer leer met ondervinding as wat enige resep jou kan vertel. Soos ek dan nou hierdie resep met julle deel, deel ek dan ook my ondervinding, wat ‘n paar vrae dalk vir julle sal opklaar en natuurlik die mite dat beskuit moeilik is om te bak van die tafel afhaal. Bestandele: 1kg Bran Rich Self Raising Flour  (of gewone self raising flour as jy nie so baie van semels hou nie) 10ml Bakpoeier 10ml Sout 125ml Klapper 250ml Sonneblom sade 100ml Rosyne 50ml fyn gekapte neute van jou keuse 500ml All Bran Flakes  (goedkoper bran flakes ook goed, maar proe nie so lekker nie) 250ml Suiker (wit of bruin, maak nie saak nie) 500ml Oats (maak nie saak watter ‘brand’ nie) 500g Botter (gesmelt) 500ml Karringmelk Hierdie is die basis waarvan af ek werk. As ek nie bv. Oats of rosyne het nie, sal ek dit vervang met dieselfde