Slaan oor na hoofinhoud

The Light Pokers






So many opinions and views regarding these uncertain times that we live in. There is a chorus of voices that will drive you mad if you tune into them, telling you it’s the end of the world… So don’t listen… 

The human race is trying to wrap their heads around the fact that the whole world came to a standstill due to a tiny thing called COVID19 virus that we can’t even see with our eyes…..

I have always been a square peg in a round hole. I have always had to think outside the box. Life is just like that for me. That combined with a very positive mindset believing that the glass is not half full or half empty but that it is refillable. So if you have time please read my musings about life and 2020 into infinity….

‘When I was little and would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me: “Look to the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” Fred Rogers

I call these people "Light Pokers". When the world is under a dark blanket of fear, despair, and hopelessness the light pokers can be seen if you look closer. Light Pokers are people that have faced their demons and that have overcome them, they have looked into the darkness and came out better, lighter and healed. They are liberated from their own fear and these light pokers then automatically liberate others.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” ― Marianne Williamson 


It is my opinion that light pokers don’t have to stand on street corners or on stages to do their work. They just need to live bravely. 

Walk their path and keep filling up that half-full glass. It is then that the light inside, light other people up, it gives others permission to do the same. And just like darkness is contagious, so is the light. If you walk in a crowd and you just smile at people as you walk past, many many people will actually smile back. And that is how light passes from one person to the other.

If someone is hurting, or are trapped in illness, despair, and hopelessness. They don’t always need advice or wisdom. Sometimes just sitting with them quietly will bring the light back. It's love that heals, that pokes holes in the darkness. When you walk past someone and they look beautiful say it.


 “Nobody can be uncheered with a balloon.” - A.A. Milne Winnie-the-Pooh

“I don’t feel very much like Pooh today,” said Pooh.  “There, there,” said Piglet. “I’ll bring you tea and honey until you do” - 
A.A. Milne. Winnie-the-Pooh 

Thus I urge you - begin your healing journey now. Dust off and out the darkness in every corner of your soul. Fall in love with you, with your life, stop to enjoy the now. Because that is the only time we have. When life knocks you down lie on your back and look at the stars, seek the silver lining, and look for the rainbows that hide inside the dark clouds. Be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous because that is who God made you to be. YOU being YOU is the best thing you can do. You just have to find you first. Hope that makes sense, as I am smiling while I type this.

Mindset is everything! It is very little in life we have control over. But you have control over what you think! How you think! And you have the power to NOT overthink. One of my favourite quotes is - “If you cannot change the thing you look at, change the way you look at it, and the thing you look at will change…” Wayne Dyer 


I have a scary childhood of sexual abuse at a very young age... I was stolen from myself when I was little by that abuser. I then chose to stay quiet due to fear. Only at the age of 35 did I start dealing with that wound. It took everything I had to face those demons. To unlearn a lifetime of unhealthy coping skills. Because that which does not kill you does not only makes you stronger it also gives you a crap load of unhealthy coping skills. But most of all I had to go back to that little girl and time in my life. I had to forgive someone that was not sorry for what he did to me. Not forgiving can and will eat you alive. It's like drinking poison every day and hoping the other person will die. I also had to forgive God and myself. Then I had to learn to love myself like God loves me. I had to work on poking holes in the darkness and shame this abuse shoved on me. Let me tell you this is the most difficult part of it all. In this journey I had the most amazing brave helpers poking holes in my darkness. That darkness also made me blind to the love others have for me. I could not see or feel it. Often telling myself that I am worthless and not deserving of love. Now, many years, later I can look back in time and see that actually I was surrounded by sooooo much love. This love came streaming in through the holes that were poked. Showing me that it's possible to heal from this evil that took everything from me. My light-pokers had been liberated from their fear of the light and walked bravely into it. The liberated helpers showed me how and liberated me to find the light in everything. You see, sometimes we hold on tight to our misery because from a young age it's all you know to do. It took brave light pokers to bring me out of the deep valleys I was shoved into. They showed me that God gives us "Hinds' Feet" 
(Habakkuk 3:19) to walk in difficult high places. It's when we become brave in our faith and walk in the high difficult places, that God shows us how to becomes light pokers, where we find peace and hope. So we can show the world the way in dark times. 

“Every now and then a man’s mind is stretched by a new idea or sensation, and never shrinks back to its former dimensions” – Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr 


I would like to invite you into the light in these dark times. To change the way you look at it. To stretch your thinking. To find your "Hinds' feet". To come walk on the high places and enjoy the light and the views with me. Life is beautiful if you dare to find it in the madness.

“Beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but it’s the middle that counts the most. Try to remember that when you find yourself at the beginnings. Just give HOPE a chance to float up, AND IT WILL” – Sandra Bullock in the Movie Hope Floats 


I see the COVID19 period as a time of new beginnings, opportunities and new ways of thinking. Now is the time to look to the helpers, to the hopeful and the light pokers. And if you can't find any BE the ones to poke the holes and seek hope. 


written by @IreneEllisArt (Instagram/facebook)

“Hope does not disappoint” 
Romans 5:5 - The Bible 
a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire #nationinspiration

Opmerkings

Gewilde plasings van hierdie blog

Die klippie in my skoen - geskryf deur iskra

Wat 'n knaende verraad! Daardie klippie in die skoen. Daardie ding wat krap en pla en mens soms verleë laat. Dis 'n pes as jy dalk jaag van hier na daar, soveel dinge wat aan jou trek; jou aandag vat; daar is nie tyd nie! Vir jou om net te kan sit, skoen uittrek en die verdomde ding uitgooi! Pfffeeeu...! Wat 'n verligting as hy eers weg is! So klein dingetjie met soveel praat in sy kneuse...daardie klippie in die skoen. (Talk about rubbing me up the wrong way!) Ons het almal maar ons klippies. Klein goedjies wat haak en pla. Daagliks knaag dit aan ons..maal dit rond in ons koppe, laatnag, wannneer ons eintlik moet slaap... Ons veiligheid. Ons kinders se toekoms, gesondheid. Hoe gaan jy hierdie maand daardie rekening betaal? Jou huwelik of 'n vriendskap is dalk op 'n snaakse plek of selfs naby skipbreek? Dalk ons eie gesondheid wat 'n lelike rapport gekry het... 'n finale een...wat jou asem weggeruk het...wat jou, die mense om jou, dae en minute met '

Vir Die Voëls - Premiere & Resensie

#NasieInspirasie was genooi deur Starburst Promotions na die Premiere van "Vir Die Voëls" - 'n Film wat gebasseer is op die ware verhaal van Irma Humpel en Sampie De Klerk  (Vertolk deur  Simoné Nortmann  en Francois Jacobs - Foto) Sou mens kyk na die diereryk en die natuur in geheel is daar beslis baie lewenswaarhede wat daaruit gering kan word. So word dit ook vertel in die nuwe film en impakvolle storie van Irma Humpel en Sampie De Klerk, se "Vir die Voëls . Huisgenoot het hulle 100ste bestaansjaar gevier, 'n kompetisie geloods en lesers genooi om hulle liefdesverhaal te deel. Huisgenoot vertel die wenner se storie op die silwerdoek met behulp van Kyknet en Factory Films. "Vir die Voëls" vertel die ware verhaal van Irma Humpel (Simoné Nortmann), ’n korrelkop-rabbedoe wat in ’n trourok voor die kansel beland langs die seun wat haar kleintyd onophoudelik geterg het. Tot kort tevore was haar kop op ’n blok dat onafhanklikheid die enigste vorm van

#Bakgat Gesondheidsbeskuit

My ouma het altyd gesê: “As jy kan lees, kan jy bak”. Ek het dit altyd geglo en wyd en syd verkondig, maar vandat ek self begin bak het vir ‘n lewe, het ek agtergekom dat jy meer leer met ondervinding as wat enige resep jou kan vertel. Soos ek dan nou hierdie resep met julle deel, deel ek dan ook my ondervinding, wat ‘n paar vrae dalk vir julle sal opklaar en natuurlik die mite dat beskuit moeilik is om te bak van die tafel afhaal. Bestandele: 1kg Bran Rich Self Raising Flour  (of gewone self raising flour as jy nie so baie van semels hou nie) 10ml Bakpoeier 10ml Sout 125ml Klapper 250ml Sonneblom sade 100ml Rosyne 50ml fyn gekapte neute van jou keuse 500ml All Bran Flakes  (goedkoper bran flakes ook goed, maar proe nie so lekker nie) 250ml Suiker (wit of bruin, maak nie saak nie) 500ml Oats (maak nie saak watter ‘brand’ nie) 500g Botter (gesmelt) 500ml Karringmelk Hierdie is die basis waarvan af ek werk. As ek nie bv. Oats of rosyne het nie, sal ek dit vervang met dieselfde