Slaan oor na hoofinhoud

Scott Erickson


SCOTT ERICKSON a.k.a curator of awesomeness is an inspiring Visual Artist, Author and Speaker all the way from Oregon in the U.S.A. He uniquely communicates simple yet thought provoking topics through his work. Here is an interview we had with him recently during our 'LIKE A CHILD' theme:


1. Welcome to NationInspiration. Please tell us about yourself and how you discovered your passion for art/to create?


I don't like this question... I don't like the 'your passion for art'... Look I don't make art because I have...I mean, I care about it, I'm a haunted person. It comes to me, you know? The images and these ideas, they come to me looking for a way into the world and so I am a person who is in a dance to say yes to inspiration... Art is simply just artifacts of people's lives. It is expression of what we are growing in, what we find ourselves in and if fabricating things that are beautiful and wonderful and inspiring or intriguing or true.... it is a way of processing life and I like that aspect of it. Sometimes passion for art just feels like this positive where I am more on the negative, pessimistic side at times.

I live in Portland, Oregon. I am a visual artist, storyteller, author and speaker...all those things.



2. The style of your work is so unique, what's the story, how did you find your rhythm and stick to it?

There's two kinds of artists. There's artists that add to or they take away. I love work that looks like wood block prints, which is a 'take-away' - carving wood, but I am not trained as a painter so I'm an 'add to' artist. So I try to make artwork that looks like 'take-away', but by doing the process of 'adding to'.

3. What Mediums do you enjoy using most?

Painting and pen and ink, speaking and performance art.

4. NationInspiration is all about inspiring people to give what they've got, no matter how small the contribution, it can make a big difference. What and Who inspires you? 

I am inspired by honesty and courage. I am inspired by people who tell the truth and invite us into that truth. I think that creates solidarity and healing and I'm a big fan of that.

I am inspired by comedians like Pete Holmes, Mike Birbiglia, Maria Bamford and anybody who is just figuring out a way to tell the truth and make it funny, that's my favourite.

(A story for you: CLICK HERE)

5. How would you like to impact or inspire your family through the legacy being built through your work? 

I want to be as true to my vocation and calling as I can. I want my kids to see that I did that. Not at the cost of them, but being a dad who is around. They too must do that and I leave a model of them seeing it and going: "I want to work like my dad worked, I wanna find my own thing and figure out how to do that well."

6. Where can we see/find more of your work?

I am SCOTT THE PAINTER on Instagram and my website is 
www.scottericksonart.com

7. NationInspirations's theme currently is, LIKE A CHILD. As fabricated adults we easily lose our wonder, our authenticity and joy. What are the things, in your opinion, we need to do or let go of, to connect with our inner-kid?

Yeah, wonder. Familiarity kills wonder and so you must un-know. When you find yourself bored or 'aaah nothing's going to change or I know all this...'  just simply start going: 'what don't I know...' and deconstruct everything around you, because your mind has made up a narrative of what's going on and it makes it familiar. You need to un-know for everything to be wondrous around you and that gets into the kid-wonderness.



8. Name a few things you enjoy and are thankful for so far on your journey as an artist/creator?

Mmm...that's a good question....
I don't know...I enjoy a good sketch pad with me at all times. I like the new iPad Pro..haha...

As a creator I enjoy the elements of social media, I enjoy being able to connect with other artists. I am not formally trained as an artist so being able to meet other artists and learn and have a community that way has been wonderful.

Interview done by:
iskra



Books co-authored by Scott:



Feel free to visit his website and follow him on 
Instagram to view more of his work.
@scottthepainter

Nobody wants to die with their song still in them.
But few are willing to let what needs to die in order for that song to be born.
- Scott Erickson




a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire #nationinspiration

Opmerkings

Gewilde plasings van hierdie blog

Die klippie in my skoen - geskryf deur iskra

Wat 'n knaende verraad! Daardie klippie in die skoen. Daardie ding wat krap en pla en mens soms verleë laat. Dis 'n pes as jy dalk jaag van hier na daar, soveel dinge wat aan jou trek; jou aandag vat; daar is nie tyd nie! Vir jou om net te kan sit, skoen uittrek en die verdomde ding uitgooi! Pfffeeeu...! Wat 'n verligting as hy eers weg is! So klein dingetjie met soveel praat in sy kneuse...daardie klippie in die skoen. (Talk about rubbing me up the wrong way!) Ons het almal maar ons klippies. Klein goedjies wat haak en pla. Daagliks knaag dit aan ons..maal dit rond in ons koppe, laatnag, wannneer ons eintlik moet slaap... Ons veiligheid. Ons kinders se toekoms, gesondheid. Hoe gaan jy hierdie maand daardie rekening betaal? Jou huwelik of 'n vriendskap is dalk op 'n snaakse plek of selfs naby skipbreek? Dalk ons eie gesondheid wat 'n lelike rapport gekry het... 'n finale een...wat jou asem weggeruk het...wat jou, die mense om jou, dae en minute met '

Vir Die Voëls - Premiere & Resensie

#NasieInspirasie was genooi deur Starburst Promotions na die Premiere van "Vir Die Voëls" - 'n Film wat gebasseer is op die ware verhaal van Irma Humpel en Sampie De Klerk  (Vertolk deur  Simoné Nortmann  en Francois Jacobs - Foto) Sou mens kyk na die diereryk en die natuur in geheel is daar beslis baie lewenswaarhede wat daaruit gering kan word. So word dit ook vertel in die nuwe film en impakvolle storie van Irma Humpel en Sampie De Klerk, se "Vir die Voëls . Huisgenoot het hulle 100ste bestaansjaar gevier, 'n kompetisie geloods en lesers genooi om hulle liefdesverhaal te deel. Huisgenoot vertel die wenner se storie op die silwerdoek met behulp van Kyknet en Factory Films. "Vir die Voëls" vertel die ware verhaal van Irma Humpel (Simoné Nortmann), ’n korrelkop-rabbedoe wat in ’n trourok voor die kansel beland langs die seun wat haar kleintyd onophoudelik geterg het. Tot kort tevore was haar kop op ’n blok dat onafhanklikheid die enigste vorm van

#Bakgat Gesondheidsbeskuit

My ouma het altyd gesê: “As jy kan lees, kan jy bak”. Ek het dit altyd geglo en wyd en syd verkondig, maar vandat ek self begin bak het vir ‘n lewe, het ek agtergekom dat jy meer leer met ondervinding as wat enige resep jou kan vertel. Soos ek dan nou hierdie resep met julle deel, deel ek dan ook my ondervinding, wat ‘n paar vrae dalk vir julle sal opklaar en natuurlik die mite dat beskuit moeilik is om te bak van die tafel afhaal. Bestandele: 1kg Bran Rich Self Raising Flour  (of gewone self raising flour as jy nie so baie van semels hou nie) 10ml Bakpoeier 10ml Sout 125ml Klapper 250ml Sonneblom sade 100ml Rosyne 50ml fyn gekapte neute van jou keuse 500ml All Bran Flakes  (goedkoper bran flakes ook goed, maar proe nie so lekker nie) 250ml Suiker (wit of bruin, maak nie saak nie) 500ml Oats (maak nie saak watter ‘brand’ nie) 500g Botter (gesmelt) 500ml Karringmelk Hierdie is die basis waarvan af ek werk. As ek nie bv. Oats of rosyne het nie, sal ek dit vervang met dieselfde